News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Connectors & wiring diagrams

Started by Russ, April 18, 2022, 07:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
I have a MKIV tvan that I'm upgrading to lithium.  I know the question has been asked but I'm unable to find any wiring diagrams for the tvan. I'm hoping that someone will be able to help out.
My next challenge is the connector used on the the original dcdc redarc 1240 charger would anyone have a part number for those and a place to purchase them from there a two way white quick connect with a 9.5 mm spade.
Kind regards russ
Track trailer tvan MKIV

stick50jr

I have done the same upgrade on my Mk 4.  I replaced the BCDC1240 with the BCDC1240D, and the IC2500 with the IC2500L.  I used the REDARC wiring examples to interpret what I found in the TVAN as I couldn't find any Mk 4 wiring diagrams.

The spade terminals within the connectors are 5/16" (7.8mm) and these can be bought on Ebay and the connector shells re-used.  (Otherwise new connectors: 
https://www.ozautoelectrics.com/ionnic-ql2-ql-series-2-circuits-connector-kit.html)

The 9.5mm terminals are only onto the relay which is eliminated using the BCDC1240D.  The 9.5mm spade terminals are also on EBay if you want to use these, but they don't fit within the QL2 connector shells.

Another alternative is to use Anderson Power Pole with the 45A contacts.  I used these Power Pole connectors for both the BCDC1240D & the Projecta IC2500L.

I'm using 2 x Renogy 100AH batteries.  These are 'smart' batteries that can have their BMS linked so that the batteries can manage across the two and also provide a bluetooth connection with internal battery status.

I'm hoping to also fit a 2000W inverter... but the challenge is to get adequate battery cables for the much higher currents than Track ever envisaged. 

boobook

I'd cut the terminaals off and use something rated at 40A like the Andersons.

ARB use these connectors on their compressors and they get boiling hot and fail after prolonged use. They are rated at something like 20A from memory.
Tony,
Landcruiser 200
MK 111 Canning Tvan
VKS 1523
VK3TON

stick50jr

Quote from: boobook on April 19, 2022, 08:21:01 AM
I'd cut the terminaals off and use something rated at 40A like the Andersons.

I agree with Tony, and thats why I opted to use the Anderson Power Pole with 45A contacts.  They are a 'mini' version of the Anderson but have sufficient rating.  I purchased a special crimper to suit these as I wanted to be sure that I had the best possible terminations.

With the IC2500L, I bought the 'sense wires' (they are embedded within the charging cables) out and made a separate small gauge connection directly to the first battery.  This allows the charger to sense the actual voltage reaching the battery.  Accurate voltage measurement is more critical with Lithium batteries.  (The Redarc charger achieves a similar measurement by pausing the charge current regularly to check the voltage).

Cheers Stick   

Clayton

Quote from: stick50jr on April 19, 2022, 12:15:28 AMThe 9.5mm terminals are only onto the relay which is eliminated using the BCDC1240D. 

Hi Stick,
Could you please explain what you mean by the relay is eliminated when using the BCDC charger?
I am about to undertake this project in a Mk4 that doesn't currently have a BCDC charger, so I am trying to gather as much information as I can. It's a shame there are no diagrams available like the ones for the MK3.
Thanks, Clayton

robstevens

I have the wiring for the Mk4 Redarc connection, from TVan - I'm not supposed to post it, but I can send you an email of it...
2017 Mk4 (Firetail)
2019 Landcruiser 200 GXL (4.6 petrol)

jakasspeech4

Quote from: robstevens on May 08, 2024, 07:59:10 PMI have the wiring for the Mk4 Redarc connection, from TVan - I'm not supposed to post it, but I can send you an email of it...
I'd love to take a peek

luke

Quote from: robstevens on May 08, 2024, 07:59:10 PMI have the wiring for the Mk4 Redarc connection, from TVan - I'm not supposed to post it, but I can send you an email of it...

Does anyone know how the whole administration thing is going ? and does anyone have any contacts at Track ?

I'm still hopeful they'll make it out the other side, but wort case scenario it would be great if some of the non intellectual property drawings, schematics, details, etc could be made available.
(you know, the basics to lets us maintain our trailers)
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

robstevens

Yeah - it's strange the wiring diagrams are all "copyright" - no idea why. After all it is not that difficult to wire up a van, this just saves time...
2017 Mk4 (Firetail)
2019 Landcruiser 200 GXL (4.6 petrol)